In a nutshell…
I have been a freelance editor and writer since completing my Ph.D. in September 2015. I have over twelve years of experience teaching English grammar, syntax and essay writing to adults. I am familiar with Chicago, MLA and APA citation styles, and I understand the importance of proper source attribution in non-fiction.
My own writing style is crisp and simple. I believe in short sentences that get right to the point. I read English, French, Italian and Latin. As a writer, I specialize in forms of biographical writing (which was the focus of my dissertation): job cover letters, statements of purpose for post-secondary programs, recommendation letters and character references. As an editor, I enjoy scholarly work that gives me the opportunity to learn new things and share others’ findings with the world.
I read voraciously — both fiction and non-fiction. I embarked upon the career of a medieval and Renaissance historian largely because of my love of historical fiction and fantasy, and I relish being able to put those years of lectures, research and study to good use. My favourite living authors are Jasper Fforde, Guy Gavriel Kay, Neil Gaiman, Michael Flynn and, of course, J.K. Rowling.
I currently live in a suburb of Montreal with my dog (and creative director), Mac-A-roni. We enjoy long walks, yoga and electronic music.
- Ph.D. (History), Johns Hopkins University
- M.A. (History), University of Toronto
- B.A. (Liberal Arts), Concordia University
- D.E.C. (I. B. Theatre Arts and Psychology), Champlain Regional College
- Lecturer, Johns Hopkins University
- Teaching Assistant, Johns Hopkins University
- Researcher, Canadian Institute for Jewish Research
- Web Editor, The Void Magazine
- Teaching Assistant, Concordia University
- Tutor, Champlain St. Lambert Writing Centre
- A regular series of recipes at Marijuana Times
- Academic editor and webmaster at Working: Now and Then
- Amateur cruciverbalism, i.e., I design crosswords
- A semi-autobiographical novel, “Of Course It Was You,” exploring non-linear narrative and the relationship between choice and consequences
- A non-fiction ebook on beta-reading
- Mindfulness meditation under the guidance of Danny Ford